Is it Time to replace Your Roof?
Many homeowners immediate think they need to replace the roof on their home when they spot a leak. While this is true in some cases, in many instances it’s only a minor repair that’s needed. Eventually the time will come when that is no longer the case and it’s time for a roof replacement in San Jose from Falcon Roofing to ensure the safety of your home and the people in it. Without a doubt, your roof is the most crucial elements of your home because it protects what’s on the inside.
Factors that indicate You need a new Roof
A leaky roof could be attributed to several different issues. The following factors could mean that it’s time to replace your roof:
- Age of the roof – do you know how old your roof is? Most homeowners don’t. Industry statistics show that the average roof will last up to 25 years. A lot depends on whether or not the prior roof was removed and there’s only a single layer of shingles remaining and if it’s been properly ventilated. If an inspection reveals that your roof was installed over another layer or layers, there’s a good chance you need to replace it.
- Buckled, cracked, or curled shingles – this is another indication that it may be time for a roof replacement in San Jose, and you should call Falcon Roofing to schedule an inspection appointment. Shingles that are curling up and losing granules usually mean that a roof has outlived its life expectancy.
- Daylight showing through the roof – there are certain things to check in the attic. Look to see if daylight is showing through the roof boards or there is moisture building up in the attic insulation. Furthermore, if you’re walking across the roof and you notice a bouncy or spongy feel in your step, this could mean that moisture has weakened the decking that is beneath the roof.
- Roof cement or tar around the chimney flashing – another area of your roof that you need to be concerned with is the flashing around your chimney. If you notice that there is roof cement or tar, it’s time to install a water-tight metal flashing system.
- Shingle granules in your rain gutters – examine your rain gutters every couple of months to see if you can see anything that looks like black sand. Shingles tend to lose these granules over time, especially when they’re approaching their life expectancy. Look for dark-colored or inconsistent spots in some areas of your roof. This is another indication that the shingle granules are wearing away.
- Shingles missing – Falcon Roofing recommends doing a visual inspection of your roof every 6 months at the very least. You should also visually check to see if every shingle tab is intact. Missing shingles are a sure sign that your roof is failing and you’re going to need a roof replacement in San Jose from Falcon Roofing.
- Valleys in your roof – look at the areas of your roof that always get direct sunlight or the “valleys.” If shingles are missing from these areas, you’re definitely going to need a new roof installed. Since rain and snow flow through these valleys, you might start noticing leaks inside your home if these valleys have been compromised.
Whether you notice one of these signs or a combination thereof, you should probably consider contacting us to schedule a 4-point roof inspection. Spotting a potential problem now could mean saving a lot of money on a roof replacement. However, it is good to consult with the experts before deciding on it.
When choosing a roofing contractor to repair or completely replace your roof, you can be assured that you’re selecting a well-known, highly recommended company when you call our company in all areas in South Bay and San Francisco Peninsula. Whether you own a commercial or a residential property, we can create the look you’re trying to achieve. For more information regarding our extensive line of services or to schedule an inspection appointment, contact Falcon Roofing at your earliest convenience. We are your one-stop roof replacement shop in San Jose.