As one of the most important systems of your home, your roof requires maintenance to keep it in good condition. Replacing or repairing your roof can be a costly enterprise. Most roof failures will often start out as small issues that become large problems over time if left unattended long enough. Don’t let this happen to you.
Your roof is designed to last a long time. With careful initial installation and regular maintenance, roofing problems can be solved before they get out of control. Taking small roof issues seriously can alleviate costly San Jose roof repairs or the need for a whole new roof.
Poor Quality Materials or Installation
A common cause of roof failure is poor quality. This can be caused by many different things.
● Quality of materials — roofing systems constructed with poor quality materials can lead to a roof failure far more quickly than one constructed of quality materials.
● Poor installation — poor installation can expose your home to damage in a myriad of ways.
● Insufficient or poorly installed flashing — areas where pipes, chimneys and other protrusions connect with the roof can be prone to leaks without sufficient and properly installed flashing and sealants. These should be maintained periodically since they will degrade over time.
Another common cause of roof failure is neglect. Regular cleaning and maintenance is key to ensuring that you get the most from your roof’s lifespan.
● Clean your roof — Keeping your roof free of dirt will reduce your risk of buildup of algae, moss, fungus or lichen growth that can reduce your roof’s long-term integrity.
● Shingle repair — When you see that shingles are missing or damaged, it’s important to replace them as soon as possible.
● Trim any overhanging branches — always keep vigilant in removing branches and limbs that overhang your roof. Leaves and debris that collect on the roof will retain moisture and may begin to rot tiles and shingles which inevitably makes them weaker. If left unchecked, this can create damage to the entire roof system. Large limbs may cause damage falling on your roof during a storm. Keep them trimmed and your roof will thank you.
● Poor ventilation — the health of your roof requires a ventilation system that removes heat and moisture and minimizes expansion and contraction with temperature changes. It also keeps your energy bills reasonable.
● Clean your gutters — gutters have a tendency to clog and can cause damage to the roof. Keeping gutters clean and in good repair allows water to move off the roof and away from your home.
Inspect Your Roof Periodically
Replacing a roof prematurely is expensive and unnecessary if you take the time to maintain it properly. Having a professional do a periodic roof inspection will go a long way to ensuring that your system will last as long as possible.
Give the professionals at Falcon Roofing a call for a comprehensive and affordable inspection. We serve the San Jose, Mountain View, Daily City and Walnut Creek areas with trustworthy and professional roofing services. Call us today at (408) 225-1705.